Negative Effects of Social Media on Teenagers and Youth
Negative Effects of Social Media on Teenagers and Youth
Social media has changed our lives in positive and negative ways. If we will talk about the negative effects, teenagers and youth are the most affected ones.
There are several reasons behind this fact that social media has caused many negative effects on our youth and all teenagers. Here, we are going to discuss the negative effects of social media on teenagers and youth in detail below.
Negative Impact/ Effects of Social Media on Youth and Teenagers
- Lack of Interest in Studies :As we see kids are very fond of using different social gadgets, they think these are the true source of enjoyment and pleasure. They always keep an eye on what in the market is new. As a result, a lack of studies among teenagers is being seen which itself is unfortunate.
Our youth has become dull in studies because of the frequent use of these social gadgets. This is no doubt, that it is also a failure of our parents and teachers who can’t divert their attention to the rapid use of social media.
Lack of interest in studies has been the most dangerous fact that has been increasing all over. The wonderful part is, people are not recognizing and finding it as harmful for their children. The question is, how will the country grow whose youth is not interested in studies. So, we can say that these gadgets are spoiling the soul of our youth.
- Following of Unknown Friendship :The teenagers who see different sorts of dramas, movies, and plays, are now more interested in new friendships. They do not bother whether the person is elder to him, they just try to have the same circumstances as they normally see in social media.
The youth has no idea on what dimension they are floating. They are just molding themselves into failure. These friendships can be attractive on some point but are dangerous as the time passes and you understand them.
- Lack of Interest in Family Gathering :The trend of greeting guests has become vanished almost everywhere. It has often seen that parents call their kids to come out of their room to greet a guest or to sit with him. They refuse to come out and make lame excuses in order to avoid gathering. This happens where kids find it a waste of time to join family gatherings. They try to spend most of their time using social media.
Our youth try to hide in their rooms and pretend as they are studying. Actually, they consider these gathering as foolish to attend. Here, I would give the direct blame on the parents who do not pay attention to the matter that their kids are not taking interested in sitting with them.
- Increase in Need of Luxuries/Facilities :When teenagers see different people having luxuries and facilities, they want to get them too. They try their best to adapt and copy what they see in movies and dramas. So, they demand expensive things from their parents and make them uneasy and out of the budget. Their parents also feel helpless in spending a good amount and purchasing such luxuries.
- Rude attitude with parents :Teenagers who use social media are becoming disrespected towards their parents and elders as they do not consider them to be respected. They see different characters in movies, disrespecting and disobeying elders.
So, the impact generates in their mind that disobeying and disrespecting someone is not an issue and is in trend. It has now become a fashion to be rude to others and very especially with the guardians.
- Fearless Attitude:Our new generation is becoming fearless, that is the most alarming sign for us. They do things in their own way and do not listen to their parents just because they are getting seek from the different roles presented in our movies and dramas.
The movies and social media channels have spoiled the behavior of our youth. They do scary things in the name of adventure. They try to get fame by showing these adventures to their friends. This all is just done to pretend that they are very powerful and fearless, which at the end, leads them to the extremely worst situation.
- Influence of Wrong Personalities :Our dramas and movies on social sites show powerful and strong characters that can attract any viewer easily.
They influence the new generation to change their lifestyle to look more happening. The critical characters do worst for youth. When teenagers see the lifestyle of the heroes, they put themselves into their position and start thinking as they also are the heroes. So, they should copy their lifestyle and way of dressing, speaking, spending money, etc.
- Superiority and Inferiority Complex:Children get in superiority and sometimes inferiority complex by the frequent use of social gadgets. Sometimes teens think they have more knowledge and understanding than anyone else.
They do not consider anyone more intelligent and efficient than they are as they think they are more connected with society through the social network. So, they develop a sense of superiority.
On the other hand, few kids think they can’t get what the others have and they are less than others as they are not enjoying the freedom and facilities as the others do on social media. They get embarrassed by seeing their friends spending extra money on parties and purchasing new multiple featured expensive mobile phones and showing them on Instagram or Facebook.
The children compare their lifestyle to their friends. As a result, they might suffer from inferiority complex and are demoralized too.
- Women Harassment:Women harassment has been increased because of social media. Teenagers see different dramas and movies based on the harassment of women. The way media portray women and men in these dramas makes the audience feel extremely comfortable with the kidnapping, teasing, and disrespecting the women (physically or morally).
So, teenagers try to implement the same in their life. The boys hoot and pass cheap remarks when they see any girl in the street. They make the girls unsecured and mentally uneasy. This issue gets severe and sometimes turns into female rapes.
The reason boys do this is to satisfy their manhood. By doing this they consider themselves as the real negative characters of the movies, dramas or social media.
- Increased Cases of Crimes:The cases of street crimes, robberies and kidnapping have been increased due to social media. Teenagers see people doing the crime with complete liberty in dramas and no one is after them.
They think that they will plan the perfect crimes. So, they apply the same for them. These factors are extremely dangerous after severe negative effects on our youth. It also causes shame and trouble for their family members.
- Copying Super Heroes in Real Life :This is psychologically tested that teenagers get more influence of their surroundings.
They copy and imitate others. They easily get attracted to the heroes presented in movies and then try to copy them as much as possible.
It changes their physical appearance and way of living or talking. They think they will be the real heroes by copying famous celebrities. They never try to think that those heroes have different supports and circumstances.
The only thing they know is to copy different famous heroes. The same is the case with the girls. They try to copy the get up of the film actresses. Teenagers start living in the world of fantasy considering their own selves the famous celebrities.
- Increased Demand for Money : As teens see their friends having a luxurious life, the try to have the same in their life. They ask for money from their parents and make them uneasy. They force their parents to arrange money. The aim is to show off with all this stuff on social media channels.
Sometimes, they steal in their home items, if their demand for money is unfulfilled. To satisfy the need and self-esteem, kids cross their limits and start stealing. They forget the difference between right and wrong and prefer to satisfy their need.
Also Read: All Negative Effects of Social Media
Lucy White is a Digital Media Executive by profession and also love to write about social media. She is also interested in research related to facts and figures about social media.