Negative Effects of Social Media on Our Family Relationships
Is There any Negative Impact of Social Media on Family Relationships?
One of the most important topics that are discussed nowadays is about the negative effects of social media on our family relationships . Most of the people also ask that Is social media changing our family relationships? Well, the answer is yes social media is changing our relationships in many negative ways. Let us discuss in details what are the possible negative side effects of social media on our relations especially family relations.
Negative Effects of Social Media on Our Family Relationships
- Less Caring Attitude Towards Family : Social media has become an international source of enjoyment and time spender. It generally is hitting people’s mind and negatively influencing their behavior without being noticed. People have become addicted to attractive gadgets. We see so many people in our routine life that have the power to influence one’s behavior so easily but I must say that the strong role that social media is performing is totally above our thinking and for sure, it is more influential. As a result, people have become less caring towards their family members. They remain busy in enjoying the liberty of using Facebook, WhatsApp, and twitter instead of spending precious time with their family. It is very painful for the family members if one is showing such careless behavior. It seems that the people don’t bother if anything good or bad happened at home, which in actual is a complete sad situation. That is the first and most initial negative effect of social media on our family relationship.
- Absent Minded in Family Issues : It has also been observed that the people who are habitual of using social media remain more absent-minded. If you ask them anything, they take a long time to come into their present state of mind and it seems quite foolish. It also shows that they are truly out of their senses. It happens when someone addicts badly of using social media. The thoughts that they read on Facebook pages surround in their minds all the time that’s why they take so much time to respond to anyone. It is also noticed that they forget different cute celebrations for example birthday of little brother, exam result celebration of the elder sister, Mother’s or Father’s Day etc.
- Lack of Conversation : People that use social media try to avoid conversation with their family members as they don’t consider them to be important to talk, they do not want to share their thoughts and hear others’ opinion. They think that it is more interesting to have a snap chat with the friend than having a conversation with their guardians. It can also be said that it happens where people think that their Facebook friends are more intelligent and well known of the modernization than that of their parents.
- Spending Less Time with Family : People usually try not to spend time with their family. They instead, try to have fun at their friends get together or parties etc. if parents ask them to sit with the rest of the family members in the room and express their thoughts as well, they immediately give lame excuses in order to get rid out of the situation very gently.
- Sense of Superiority : In some cases, it has seemed that people have developed a sense of superiority in their minds. They do not consider others more intelligent and efficient than them. In another way, they sometimes make others upset by degrading them with extremely harsh behavior and attitude. Sometimes they throw such sentences that can break one’s heart and destroy one’s emotions.
- Living in World of Fantasy : The people who use social media live in the world of fantasy and speculation. It can be clearly seen that if these people are asked to do some household chores, they give reasons to do certain things according to what they think and that thinking is totally out of the way and it is impossible to implement it in reality. It happens when they see people post different ideas on Twitter and Instagram. They try to have the same thing happen in their home. They want to adopt the lifestyle of different people that they see in those posts, which in real life is impossible to have because the luxurious lives of few people can’t be followed. I mean it is foolish to demand a life that Bill Gates is leading. It depends on how social media portrays their lives on different mediums. people idealize some influential personalities and then try to be like them and search their particular lifestyle at their home.
- New Gadgets Purchasing from Child : It is often noticed that children demand different items from their father. It was sometimes chocolates or toys etc. But now they ask their parents for a handsome and expensive hand mobile set or a new high quality and extraversion laptop with multiple features. They just don’t want to compromise on this as they consider it a very common facility and it is their right to get all they demand. They get in complex sometimes when they see other rich friends are having a new Apple iPhone in his hand and he is enjoying a more digital featured camera than him. As a result, children demand the same from their father which takes the parents to real trouble as not everyone can afford it.
- Divorces caused by this addiction : This addiction is not less than a disorder called schizophrenia. It sometimes disconnects you with your daily routine and makes others unhappy. of course, it is annoying for other family members that you always keep your mobile phone in your hand and use it all the time in every situation. I want to add here, you won’t believe but this addiction is now leading a relationship to a clear divorce. Married ladies are very much uneasy with their husbands who keep their mobile phones in their hands and use Facebook all the time. These are those husbands who do not notice them in any way and are the true addicts of using such gadgets. The unnecessary use of these mediums creates a space between a relationship of a husband and a wife which causes divorce. That is among the negative effects of social media on our family relationships.
- Children Psychological Issues whose parents are habitual of using social media : It has been observed that this habit of using mobile phones has become developed in our parents as well. This is quite shocking but the fact is that few parents can’t stop themselves also to operate Facebook or Instagram as they offer different cheap and interesting packages. New dress designs, events decoration, party meals, cooking shows, and makeup trends have now diverted the attention of mothers. They enjoy spending their time watching missed drama serials or old movies etc. On the other hand, fathers on social media, are now in search of different talk shows, political debates, and speeches etc. They are interested in sharing multiple posts with their friends. But no one thinks about the disturbance that creates in the home as a result. It directly affects the children’s mind as they do not get sufficient time from their guardians. They get confused about making an important decision. They also can’t get their assignments done on time. They sometimes are late from schools and colleges. These children get shrewish and furious and do not want to listen to anyone. They sometimes get addict to narcotics spending more of their time in bad company. The parents who do not have time for their children can easily ruin the comfort of home.
Can you answer what will happen if the head of the family is busy in maintaining his status on Whatsapp and Facebook, who will run all the work at home? These all are the major negative effects of social media on our family relationships.