Negative Effects of Social Media on Communication
From internet slangs to shortcuts of language our people are affected badly and most of them are unaware of this fact. Lets us elaborate these points in more details by clearing some following facts in the detail
- People talk less :The frequent use of social media is leading us to the situation where people try to avoid talking with each other. People prefer to spend time using Facebook and Twitter instead of spending time with the family. They remain busy enjoying chats on the different medium of social applications and think as it is more happening and enjoyable to use such gadgets than spending time with the parents and siblings. I guess there is a phenomenon in their minds that their parents are not much intelligent and efficient and will make them bore by repeating old stories and giving lectures for their future so they find it boring sitting in their company.
- kids’ talking style :Social media has such influential power that attracts the users quickly. Our new generation has developed a habit of using a different style to write and communicate. Their way of speaking and writing is not according to the formal style but they use the short form to communicate. Very specially, it is now seen that some students use short language i.e. “I m a boy n I like 2 play f8ball”, “u r lokin gr8” etc. kids often are seen speaking this language at their homes.
- Use of short forms in conversation :As we have talked earlier that the power that the social media has is not ordinary so it is now attacking directly to the conversation of teenagers who spend 90% of their time using social media. They use the words that show modernism and smartness. Some words have now become a trend i.e. “SWAG, LOL, OMG, LEVEL” etc. these are the words that can’t be understood sometimes unless there is another person who is as much active on social media.
- Lack in using native language :People who use social media excessively remains far from their native language. They lack in command of speaking their own native language properly and completely. They become habitual of using those special words and sentences that do not allow them to even think of what their actual language is. The parents do not bother as they also have developed the habit of using social media and they consider this style a trend that everyone is following nowadays. So, the parents also do not bother if their children are going far from their native language rather, they enjoy it.
- Less informative skills :The people who are habitual of communicating on social media have less abilities especially in terms of informative skills. Earth is growing rapidly and day by day we are seeing people who are introducing numerous and uncountable modern methodologies in different fields. People who remain busy using social media do not find time in learning a new skill. There constant attention to social communication does not allow them to explore and contribute. It lessens the research habit of its users. People try to spend time communicating with their friends instead of exploring new techniques that can be economically beneficial for them in their future.
- People want to be alone in the room :Communication on social media has created a broad space between the new generation and family. Its users try to remain in their rooms and they want to spend time using Facebook. They leave special family occasions and gatherings. They try to hide themselves to avoid giving answers to their parents. Usually, parents do not take the pain and ask them much if kids do not show any interest in family gatherings which leads them to ignore everyone especially their own parents.
- Visual and headache problems :Communication on social media, unfortunately, is leaving another impact on our generation that their eyesight gets weaker in days. They remain active on social sites at night in dim lights, which badly affects their visual. People, no matter whatever time is there, use social media and communicate with friends. This is why we are seeing a lot of people even kids with eyesight glasses on their face complaining of a severe headache. When people do communication on social media through their mobile phones, the rays that come from mobile phones damage their eyesight and nervous system.
- Decreases physical activities :continuous use of social apps for communication disables a person’s physical activeness. People sit in the same place for so long without moving, effects their physical abilities. The people who use social gadgets less remain active in other activities as they take part in sports and games and present themselves better where their actual physical effort is needed. On the other hand, the people who do not show interest in such activities and remain busy communicating on social sites, their bodies do not support them when their actual performance is needed. Their muscles get jam and they people complain and can’t help if you ask them to pull even a normal weight.
- Lack of confidence :Social app users lack confidence as compare to those who do not use it frequently. They feel hesitation in communicating with others face-to-face. People who talk to their family and friends face-to-face have more courage to speak and it boosts their level of confidence. Social sites addicts try to avoid gatherings where they feel they can be asked different sort of questions. They feel no power and can’t put their opinion when you make them sit among people. It happens because they are used to communicate with others alone in their rooms where no one is watching them. Interacting only through mobile phones affects the ability to confront people face-to-face.
- Decreases the spam of thinking :Thinking and exploring can increase a person’s mental ability. It is like when you do not think and use your mental abilities, your mind gets locked and restricted that does not allow you to come out of your ease zone. The people who use social apps every time, can’t think more as its use decreases the spam of their thinking. Sitting alone and communicating is a thing that forbids its addict to explore. They give preference to maintain their status quietly on WhatsApp, Facebook or Instagram instead of using this time with a face-to-face healthy conversation with their colleagues to explore different new thoughts and ideas. They even do not want to sit in the company of the trained employees that can help and guide them.